Wednesday, February 20, 2013

on a breakfast cake.

what a glorious idea - cake for breakfast! i had some time on my hands this weekend and decided i wanted to use it to bake, and this cinnamon-sugar apple skillet cake from joy the baker has been calling my name for a while. the ingredients are below, and while the recipe calls for cardamon i used "cardamon". you know that point where you feel like you have enough spices and you just don't feel like buying any more? well, sorry cardamon, but i didn't deem you worthy of space in my oh so tiny cabinet. that's also because a cardamon substitute is easy to come up with - in any recipe you can replace cardamon with half cinnamon/half ginger, half cinnamon/half nutmeg, or half cinnamon/half cloves. i went with the latter and it worked out perfectly.
the first step is to make the cake batter - cream the butter and sugar for a few minutes, then add in the egg and the egg yolk that the recipe calls for, beating for about a minute after each addition. then, beat in the dry ingredients, which should all be whisked together in a bowl and set to the side, and here you have our cake batter. the cake was easily my favorite part of this recipe - it's ridiculously moist and tastes so perfect from the combination of spices that the recipe calls for (especially with a cup of coffee on the side).
i didn't have a skillet, so i used a 9-inch cake pan to make the cake. be sure to grease and flour the cake pan - it helps the bottom from getting dark or burnt. after putting the batter in the pan, layer on the thinly sliced and cored apples. i only used two apples, as opposed to the three or four that the recipe calls for, and i found this to be enough. one thing i would slightly change about the recipe - after layering slices from the first apple on top of the cake, i would have sprinkled on some of the cinnamon-sugar topping before layering my second apple on the top. if you don't do that, i would suggest not making as much topping that the recipe calls for, since it's far too much. i'm looking forward to using this technique the next time i make the cake, as i think it will help more of the apple topping caramelize while it's cooking in the oven, too (always a good thing).
pop in the oven for about 30 minutes and there you have it. i had to cook my cake longer than the amount of time the recipe called for, so if that happens with you when you make this, don't worry, it's still going to taste wonderful.
serve with a strong cup of coffee and enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Breakfast cake? I'm on it. Also, I love Joy the Baker. She's got some great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed - I also really enjoy the honesty and humor in her writing.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh I've had my eye on this one too! I'll have to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a good one for those Saturday morning brunches :)

      Delete
  3. This looks so good! Anything apple/cinnamon sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too - always been my fave oatmeal flavor. but I'll take it in cake form too.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, these pictures are making me craves a cup of coffee and some of that cakes... too bad it's about 10pm! Perhaps I'll give this a whirl over the weekend though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i mean, if it had been a cup of decaf...

      Delete
  5. Cake for breakfast!!! Hooray! Apple and cinnamon are my all-time favourite flavour combination too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'd enjoy this then (like i am right now for breakfast).

      Delete
  6. yum!

    xoxo from nyc & http://www.the-beautiful-things.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. cake for breakfast and a recipe from joy the baker and I'M IN! This looks delicious! I also did not know the trick about substituting cardamom... a spice that does not live in my spice cabinet so this is a tip I will remember!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...