Tuesday, February 5, 2013

on some more slow cooked ribs.

in the thick of winter it only makes logical and natural sense for one to pull their slow-cooker out. and with the big football game this past sunday, i thought it only appropriate that i make some ribs (or one really big rib). country style ribs are different from others (let's say spare ribs) because they usually don't  contain any bones and are cooked more like pork chops (why they are called ribs is a mystery). while i had some success in the summer with these oven-cooked ribs, i wanted something cooking that it made me possible for me to leave the house (leaving an oven unattended does not put me at ease, shall we say). so the slow cooker it was! i used this recipe for sweet-and-sour country ribs and it was the easiest thing i have ever made, probably in my life.
in addition to the below ingredients, you'll also need apple cider vinegar. and yes, while the recipe calls for cayenne pepper i put in smoked paprika instead. i'll note that cayenne pepper and smoked paprika aren't alike at all, but i didn't have any cayenne pepper and anything smoked seems like a good thing to throw into a bbq recipe. if you do substitute smoked paprika and still want a little kick from some spice, i suggest sprinkling in some red pepper flakes.
it took, all in, about ten minutes (even less) to get it all in the crockpot. throw in each ingredient, whisk it together, then put in your ribs and toss to coat. since i did this early in the morning i let it cook on low for ten hours - like many people i think cooking fatty meat on low for a long time leads to something just a little more delicious.
and after ten hours - voile! a tasty dinner (and enough for leftovers). we served it with the sauce that was left in the crockpot, and i recommended doing that or serving with your favorite bbq sauce for more flavor.
some slow cooker recipes take more effort than others - as appealing as it may seem to come home to a warm dinner, waking up twenty minutes early to get it in the slow cooker always outweigh the benefits (for me at least). this recipe definitely doesn't fall into that category - it's the easiest thing in the world to throw together (and takes hardly any time), so it would be a perfect meal to make during the week, not just for the big game.
enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. YUM! I am always looking for easy recipes to toss in my crock pot. All my soups end up tasting so bland, but its a great way to cook meats low and slow. I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree, my soups rarely turn out at the hale and hearty level, ya know? this one definitely will be more delicious.

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! I'm intrigued by how easy it is... might have to pull out my crock pot this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good! I don't normally eat ribs because I avoid meat with bones, but if country style ribs don't have bones then count me in! I honestly didn't know there was such a thing. And I agree with you about the crockpot not always being the easiest answer... I hate when it's only supposed to cook for like 6 hours so it means I have to rush home from work during lunch to throw it on the crockpot. That is definitely NOT saving me any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i never really understood why they're called ribs but i'll take it. this little webpage held a wealth of knowledge for me in case you're interested (http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/pork_cuts.html). and i completely agree with you over the slow cooker - they say it's supposed to save you time and make things easier and yet...it never seems to be that way. this one, luckily, does just that!

      Delete
  4. I’m still dying to try your rib recipe that you posted a few months ago (I ordered some ribs in my online shop but had to order by kilo and ended up receiving 2 measly little ribs that are still sitting in my freezer)! I had no idea you could get country ribs, they look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my flipping yum - I had a short rib sandwich this weekend and it was droolingly good

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...