Tuesday, March 26, 2013

on five things.

after a fairly non-photographic weekend, i'm back. (i know - no weekend post! what the heck!) anna tagged me in this earlier and i'm just getting around to it. if you ever need to tag someone in one of these, feel free to tag me. i love this stuff, and i feel like such random and funny or insightful things come out of these posts for long-time readers. so, without further ado...
italy, last year - taken with the diana.
(1) when i was a small child, i became suddenly very aware of the fact that not everyone finds work, or stays gainfully employed. it truly frightened me, at the age of eight, to think that such a fate might be in my future. it was then that i really delighted in the fact that i was being raised catholic - i assured my parents, when i was in the second grade, that no one had to worry about me getting a job because i could always have the "fallback option" of being a nun. to say that i am type a, is putting it mildly. to say that i regularly fascinated and disturbed my parents with my type a behavior, is putting it even milder.
***
(2) i feel as though i've talked about my love for the godfather on here (and it's true, it's in my top 5 favorite movies), but another movie i love that seems to fly under the radar is the last emperor, directed by bernardo bertolucci. it won nine oscars in 1987, including best picture and best director, but i had never heard of it until i watched it in my history class senior year of high school. it's an amazing, fascinating, and compelling movie. it's stayed with me for years. it's one of those movies that, after watching, you want to go read all the material on the subject and history. if you're looking for a good movie to watch, get a copy of this.
***
(3) one of my favorite quotes comes from an old man from south carolina, who was featured on bobby flay's throwdown, the episode about shrimp and grits (naturally): "they say you only live once - but if you live in the south, once is all you need."
***
(4) i wear the same size shoe that i wore in the 7th grade, when my feet stopped growing.
***
(5) i've had a few pretty bad blonde moments. they include running the washing machine with no clothes in it, and freaking out when I came back to an empty washing machine, before a search led to me discovering they never left the basket, and, when i was a kid, baking a sheet of cookies for almost an hour, with no progress, before realizing i never turned on the oven. true life, people.
***
i tag sherri, melissa, tatiana and molly.

16 comments:

  1. Looks like you and I are both type A little freaks of nature :) lol. And that quote? Fan-tastic!! Oh and I am totally obsessed with the Godfather as well. Watched for the first time in college and was absolutely mesmerized. I'll look into The Last Emperor! Thanks for tagging me darling! Hope you're having a great day! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes dor the godfather! enjoy the last emperor - it doesn't disappoint.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha! I actually laughed out loud about the "fallback" job of being a nun. When you think about it, it's kind of a sweet deal...except for the whole nomennolovenosex thing.

    And also LOVE the washing machine story. That is just too, too precious. I can just feel the panic...I would automatically assume a stalker had gotten in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is QUITE the downside...as I realized when I became a little older ;)

      Delete
  3. gosh. this made me laugh. watching cookies not progress for an hour! so good. and i love that nun was your safety :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - an hour?! like come on Colleen, really?!

      Delete
  4. I love that being a nun was your back-up plan!! You are too funny. I also love when bloggers share fun facts about themselves. I love learning things about people, and with the distance that comes between most in the blogging world, it's fun to have some sort of way to share them, since we're not hanging out and talking face to face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I was really preparing for the future!

      Delete
  5. My back up plan was to be a trophy wife, but I'd talk back too much.

    Some people were let go at my office last week. Seeing that happened hit me much harder than I expected. I think people take employment for granted too much. I'm grateful to have a job, but I could lose it at anytime.

    My feet got smaller. I use to wear 7. I wear 6 now. Uh, what?

    This was fun. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trophy wife - yes (although I also have the same problem).

      I completely understand re: layoffs - I have seen them every year at every firm i've been at, and had the joy one time of sitting outside the conference room where they did it and heard everything. I will say - many of my former coworkers have gone on to wonderful things, but it doesn't make it less painful or scary. I hope the same for yours.

      Delete
  6. My feet have also been a size 7 since 7th grade. I shot up 7 inches between then and the start of high school, but my feet have stayed the same. 7s fo lyfe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I'm glad this phenomenon is not just relegated to me.

      Delete
  7. Ha! I love your fallback. I have a lot blonde moments too. And yet I'm not blonde. I'm constantly getting phrases mixed up. A while ago, I told Bob, "You're pulling my teeth!". He laughed and said, "I think you mean I'm pulling your leg?". I have to admit this happens way too often. It's now known as "pulling a Jillian".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh Jillian I'm laughing so hard at the pulling of the teeth - too funny!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh what a funny little child you were! I didn't once worry about my future career when I was little (probably my problem in life). You are going to totally judge me but I've never seen the Godfather. *gasp!* I know, I know, I need to watch it sometime. You've inspired me to make it happen!

    I've also had similar blonde moments, and I'm not even blonde. Unfortunately I think that's our lot in life. We always have a million things running through our minds at any given moment, so some things fall through the cracks. I'm actually amazed I don't do more stupid things when I'm really distracted. (I'm laughing over here at Jillian's pulling teeth comment! too funny!)

    Loved learning these random tidbits about you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a responsible child you were! Concerned about future employment AND ready to live your life out in a convent, just in case. Too funny!

    Thanks for the tag! I'm actually terrible at these sorts of things, and since I just did one for Anna too, I'm going to double dip and count it for this one as well. Lazy? Probably.

    http://www.onboardthegravytrain.com/2013/03/five-random-things.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...