Tuesday, March 12, 2013

on my weekend in pictures.

this post may seem a bit late to you, but my weekend started a little earlier and is going on for a bit longer. you see, i left my job early last week and am taking some time before i start my new gig. often on blogs we talk about being "real". how showing certain snippets of our life can create a certain portrait that isn't entirely accurate. sometimes, perhaps, it's intentional and for the wrong reasons. lying to our readers is just like lying to yourself - if they believe your life is perfect, maybe you will, too. and sometimes, perhaps, it's intentional for the right reasons. so while i think my blog has a pretty good mix, i intentionally have not discussed my job on here. i've never said where i work or what i do, and when some readers have asked i've simply let the question go. i don't talk about it because i simply do not want any record of my thoughts or feelings about my work on the internet. plain and simple. so let me say just this, this once:
i left my job because my boss treated me very poorly.
i love what i do, and am excited to head on to another opportunity where i will do similar work with different people. and if not talking about how this huge part of who i am (my livelihood) has adversely affected my life for the past year or so and has created an unrealistic portrait, oh well. i have nothing to hide, just a few things i'd like to hide from the internet.
this past summer, i had dinner and drinks with anna and molly, fellow bloggers. this summer was my lowest point, and that day had been particularly bad. since i see molly regularly as she lives in nyc, my troubles at work were only new to anna, who lives in boston, and she listened patiently as i took her through the whole story. but after that we talked and laughed, ate good burgers, had some nice wine, enjoyed the beautiful weather, and i, thankfully, decompressed with the help of my friends. yet if anna hadn't visited nyc, she never would have known.
i suspect we all have things in our life that we'd gladly talk about with our readers, we'd just prefer to not have the conversation on the internet. and you know what - that's ok. it doesn't make you inauthentic, or a liar, or a pretender. and i'm sure if i met more of my regular readers in person, we'd both get a deeper, fuller and richer picture of one another's lives. so if you're ever in nyc, or if i'm in your neck of the woods, let's talk. preferably over some hot chocolate with a homemade marshmallow on a rainy day like this.

13 comments:

  1. As ever, thanks for your honesty Colleen. I am so glad to hear that you are on to new and exciting things (if you don't mind me saying, sometimes I felt like I could read between the lines with your frustrations with your previous job). Fingers crossed that the new one will be everything you were hoping for. And talking over homemade marshmallows and hot chocolates sounds like the best plan ever (even better if it was in NY)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't mind at all! it's nearly impossible to not let some of it shine through - and happily, it's done now. thanks so much for your well wishes, too!

      Delete
  2. Amen sistah. Seriously, if I talked about how bad things were sometimes, I think some people would think differently about me and my life. But I think it's important for people to remember that these blogs are just one facet of our lives. Thank you for being honest, and congratulations on your new gig lady :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks alex - i'm very excited to be moving on :)

      Delete
  3. I am so so happy for you.

    I'm so happy for your time off.

    I'm so happy for your new job.

    I'm SO HAPPY you've said GOODBYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE.

    Love you, friend. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lady - i say good riddance, too!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on standing up for yourself and making a positive move (and for taking some time off between gigs!) Nothing bad will come from this decision! (www.blairsays.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - i'm happy to be moving on :)

      Delete
  5. I totally get that. I think it's important to be human on your blog, but it's wise not to air all of our dirty laundry per say. Especially when it comes to a job or your family. In this world of instant information, I believe we need to fight for privacy on certain things.

    Congrats on your new job! I truly hope you have a better situation ahead of you!! Excited for you, Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amen to that. and thank you - i'm excited, too!

      Delete
  6. I have so glad I found your blog, it has some great insight! And, Congrats on your new job. :)

    I think it's important to be open and authentic on your blog, you don't want to be fake. But I think that you have to hold things back, too. Not only to protect yourself, but the people in your life that you write about. I wouldn't tell everyone every detail of my relationship, because my bf wouldn't be able to tell his side of the story. And so forth..

    I haven't left my job (I'm a student), but I had to give up an important position because I didn't feel like I was being treat fairly. It's good to leave those situations rather than fight through them. I hope your future job experiences are full of respect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for the encouragement - i'm glad you found my blog, too :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on moving on to a more positive environment!

    I know what you mean about hiding (or just not advertising) the negative on your blog. I don't really have many rules about what I post, but I try to consider that if any person (a boss, a coworker, a stranger etc) were to come across a post, I hope they won't be offended. I also try to think that if I am going to read the post at a later date, will it make me feel regret about what I wrote or even just remind me of those negative feelings. No one ever said the internet is reality. I need to remind myself that a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...