Friday, March 8, 2013

on a shoe story: volume vii.

as an update to this post, i can tell you i made my decision this week: i'm staying in nyc. as opposed to the other option, which was moving back to nashville. for now, i'll stay here in new york. but you never know where the future might take us (and gosh, isn't that so damn exciting sometimes?!) so without further ado, a homage to nashville. best told through my shoe story of, what else, cowboy boots.
i got my boots the first year of grad school - from one of those stores in downtown nashville that sells boots 3 for 1. myself, tina, and our friend amanda went in on it together, fully embracing our new countrified lives when tina hosted a cowboy party in the winter. we were all set to go pick them out when...i had to go to new york city for an interview. it was my last interview in the process of finding an internship for the summer, and in my exhaustion all i requested was that the boots be brown. tina and amanda didn't fail me, and lo and behold they found a pair of boots to match my intricate request: they are indeed brown.
on the flight home to nashville i sat behind an abusive husband and wife and their two small children. while i've been on flights where we had turbulence or dips or delays, that flight, hands down, was the tensest flight i've taken. without getting into too much detail, believe me when i say listening to a man verbally accost his wife as she cries and the flight attendants ask him to please keep his voice down makes for the worst flight. i went straight from the airport to tina's party, exhausted from just all of it (you know how it is), picked up my boots, said hello to a few people, and went home to go to bed.
a waste of money, i thought. i'll never wear these. but winter turned to spring, and spring turned to summer, and i discovered that cowboy boots make for a great pair of shoes when paired with a summer dress. i started to wear them everywhere - why every woman doesn't own a pair of cowboy boots is beyond me (do it people, do it!). summer turned to fall, and then fall turned to winter, and tina hosted another cowboy party. i wore my broken in boots, had a few beers, shared a few laughs. and i also met a guy named brian that night.
but that's a story for another day.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story! I loved reading this! And yay for NYC! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lady :) and yes, i'm very excited to be staying in NYC

      Delete
  2. Oh I need to find a great pair of boots too! But where can a gal find authentic boots in Chicago? Any tips? Congrats on the decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i did a little digging and i think alcala's western wear is your best bet!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on making a decision :)

    Love, love, love this shoe story post! The shoes you met Brian in... how romantic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - a real Nashville love story :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE THIS STORY. not the part about the abusive husband (that was sad) but the ending just gave me chills. Those boots sure brought you something great!

    And I hope you do tell that story one day. I'd love to hear it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making the decision (I am going through something similar at the moment so I can sympathise). I have ALWAYS wanted to own a pair of cowboy boots (seriously coveting yours) but they are not quite as common outside of America and finding the right pair has been near impossible. I can't wait to hear about your Brian story....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...