Tuesday, April 30, 2013

on ramping up your scrambled eggs.

this isn't really a recipe - i wouldn't deign to call it that. i mean, i'm simply putting one more ingredient into my scrambled eggs. if i called it a recipe, it would be quite the hefty pat on the back. it's merely an opportunity to talk about ramps.
have you heard of ramps? i hadn't heard of ramps until a year or two ago. "ramp season!", they declared, "is here." apparently ramp season only lasts about a month, and if there's one thing new yorkers love, it's a way to make ourselves feel elite and special. we really are a special bunch of people. and i remember thinking to myself: "what the hell is a ramp? is it food? it seems like it's food, but why in tarnation is it called a ramp?"
i...don't actually use the word tarnation. that was just a way to make me sound like someone who lives in the country and wouldn't know about ramps. you know, a way to make me feel good about living in the elite and special city of new york (haven't you heard? we have ramps here.)
but - joke's on me kids! the king of ramps is from west virginia and every year they have a festival for ramps (read about it, and so much more, here). so, as we like to say in our house - it looks like i have egg on my face for trying to sound like a country person. some major egg, on the face.
speaking of which. eggs. shall we continue with this nonsense?
in spirit of ramp season, i decided to add some ramps to our weekend egg scramble.
now to make this a little more useful, one morning i parboiled the ramps before using them, and the other day i just simply minced them and put them into the eggs. personally - i liked the taste better when they had been parboiled. when they weren't parboiled it just didn't flow quite as well, you know what i mean? so, parboiling. parboiling is a fancy term for something simple that, unlike mirepoix (boy was that an exciting day on the blog!), just isn't quite as fun. parboiling simply means that you boil an ingredient that you're going to cook later on in the recipe (it essentially comes from partially boiling your ingredient - i know, whoever came up with the phrase is very creative). so to me, that just means, boiling it. but in order to keep in the spirit of mirepoix, sure, parboil. parboil your ramps, ladies.
i parboiled my ramps while i cooked some bacon, and once the ramps were drained, dried and diced (the alliteration in that sentence - whoa!), i threw it into the pan with some of the bacon fat and butter. after sautéing for about a minute i threw in my eggs with some salt and pepper.
after a few minutes of constant stirring (the key to great scrambled eggs, along with fresh eggs, according to me, the ultimate scrambled egg authority around here), we had a tasty egg scramble! brian said it was quite the flavor. maybe after ramp season is over we'll throw in some shallots or some leeks since, as i failed to explain earlier, ramps are in that whole shallot-green onions-leeks-onions category. but until then, we just might keep ramping up our eggs (get it?!)

9 comments:

  1. Tres confused Colleen! Is a ramp a spring onion? I googled it but it just came up with pictures of skating ramps! It looks like a cross between a spring onion (I think you call them scallions) and grass! Whatever it is, I am all for jazzing up scrambled eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to answer this with the wealth of ramp knowledge I've obtained. so spring onions are the same as scallions (in the EU and Asia they are called spring onions, here in the US we call them scallions). they are longer and skinner than ramps, and ramps have big leaves unlike scallions that are just kind of one long tube. also, in Britain ramps are called "ransoms", so maybe if you google ransoms you'll see what they look like. finally, if we want to get very technical: ramps are "allium trioccum", scallions/spring onions are "allium cepa" or "allium fistulosum". so hopefully all that useless knowledge helps!

      Delete
    2. Googling ransoms as we speak! Thanks Colleen! I feel truly enlightened! :)

      Delete
  2. Ummmm that looks delightful. And a ramp festival? Whaaaaat? So I'm signing up for an organic fruit and veggie box thinger to be delivered every other week, so if I get ramps I totally know what to do with themmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brian and i are on the cusp of trying a service like this - local food of all sorts in a box for two, with recipes provided. an awesome way to spruce up our weekly dinner nights, no? and, naturally, the latest box had ramps in it. i hope yours does too :)

      Delete
  3. I had no clue what a ramp was prior to reading your blog this morning. I must have been living under a rock because now I've learned that they are apparently THE thing. Now that I know what they are, I can imagine that they are delicious in scrambled eggs. And as long as there's bacon on my plate I'm happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - we totally agree with your last statement! i'm not sure if you have a trader joe's near you but we LOVE their applewood smoked bacon (trader joe's brand). if you're near one pick some up - it's the best!

      Delete
  4. Hahaha love it! These ramps have been beckoning me from the shelf of our COOP. I think you may have just pushed me over the edge to actually buying them. Interesting stuff about the festival! Sounds like a nice little weekend activity to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've sensed the fact that ramps are THE vegetable of the season here in NYC, but I had no earthy idea what they were either. Thanks for sharing! This post was both informative and hilarious. I think you've doubled my vocabulary :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...