Wednesday, May 1, 2013

on becoming marlene dietrich.

i've gotten into the menswear trend over the past year. it started with my tuxedo jacket. then a light winter coat that was cut like a man's wool coat. and finally, my new loafers.
which, let's take a moment here - yes, flats! i have so many issues with flats, as has been well documented, and while i love heels more no matter what, i hate that flats these days provide so little support and protection for your feet. and in a city where i walk a lot and have to choose them over my precious heels (you now know why i call them a necessary evil), they don't do much for me. wearing men's shoes though?! oh hell yes. support for my arches, stability, thick soles. i'm in friends. i. am. in.
aaaaand back to regular programming...for someone who tends to embrace more feminine fashion, it's surprised me to say the least, this embracing of mens' clothes. but the reason i think menswear works so well on women are the sharp, well-defined lines that contrast wonderfully with a softer, fuller body. a well-cut suit looks wonderful on a man, no doubt (looking at you ocean's 11! and 12! and 13!), but it also looks freakin' fabulous on women, too. in fact, don't look further than marlene dietrich. my word could that woman make a suit look sexy. i can't pull off every item in this set, but i can appreciate them when i see them. and in a fun twist, i chose expensive and inexpensive items - everything in the "save" category is under $100, and most are under $50.
Menswear for Women

1. when i say splurge i mean it on this almost $2,000 stella mccartney jacket. whew. it is a beauty, though. i adore my tuxedo jacket (that i got on sale and far away from a $2,000 price-tag), but i feel like this item out of the whole set is the one that most people won't try. when i first got it i hoped i wasn't being ambitious - seeing it on a model and loving it is one thing, pulling it off on yourself is quite another. but it is, hands down, one of my favorite purchases. it's a great way to stay warm and look chic on early fall and late winter nights, and it adds a perfect edge to an all-black outfit (my preferable pairing). so try this forever 21 version - you won't regret it at that price.
2. a tuxedo shirt in soft cotton or silk and muted pink colors is a perfect way to try this trend and embrace your femininity. this tibi version i love because of the color contrast but, admittedly, the menswear trend can be a bit harder to pull off in the spring and summer. this equipment version is perfect for the summer as it's silk and sleeveless, with an added bonus of being on major sale at the outnet.
3. if you can't yet see yourself in the tuxedo jacket, the tuxedo pants are a much easier sell. wear them to work if you're going out for happy hour afterwards, or a date on saturday night (as long as your date doesn't mind that you can wear his pants and heels, to boot). you can splurge on this pair (that's still 45% off), or save on this pair (that's 80% off (!!!) at the outnet).
4. and now we get to the fun part - shoes. this dolce vita version is perfect for the summer because of it's side-vents, but this version from target is pretty much perfection - leopard print and a pink sole all in the packaging of typical man's oxford. oh - and it's under $15.
5. the panama hat - a great way to take part in this trend during the summer. i've tried one on and so far it doesn't work for me (to put it lightly), but i do love it. the expensive one is here and the affordable one is here.
6. the mens' watch was what really started this whole trend a few years ago. i've never worn a watch so i don't have one, but i love them. this sleek gold nixon one is really my jam, but if silver is more your thing - check out this version from (yet again), target. the rhinestones on it don't hurt either ;)
and...if you've tried this trend, feel free to share your favorite items, looks or advice!

11 comments:

  1. YES. I'm all about this. I love men's fashion (particularly when it's on women). The tuxedo jacket, the oxfords and the big watches, I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yay! I bet you would rock a tuxedo jacket so hard.

      Delete
  2. I love this!! Now you're gonna have me obsessing over a $2000 jacket. It's so worth it though, I mean look at all that gorgeousness!! I'm a big fan of a little menswear here and there (did not mean for that to be so rhymey :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! that layered lapel is a thing of beauty.

      Delete
  3. Those leopard print loafers are to die for and I need all of the things on this page. ALL OF THE THINGS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do it sister! less than 15 bucks!

      Delete
  4. I have a major gripe with the flats that are in fashion at the moment, I might as well be walking barefoot (actually, I am wearing a pair of the said flats today so maybe I should shut up). And of course, I loved your selection. I am currently on the hunt for the perfect oxford but I don’t know if I could pull off the leopard print pink ones. I am considering them though…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing a pair too (wear black flats to walk around the city) but I'm pretty sure my next pair will be loafers or something. they're just so useless with how flimsy they all are.

      Delete
  5. I love all these pieces. I've been drawn to menswear lately, too, and Marlene Dietrich is an awesome role model to have for that type of fashion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, not to sound all academic and crazy, but at this conference I was at, I went to a session on queer studies, and they talked about what a big impact something this small can make...challenging gender norms in fashion can send big messages to people who are still figuring out their own identities!

    In any case, these pieces look fabulous. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful collection of fashionable accessories. Beautiful shoes, hat, watch, pants and dresses as well as coat. Specially this coat is so gorgeous and will be preferable to all.

    Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...