Tuesday, May 14, 2013

on a compromising dinner.

as summer is coming and all the pasta and donuts that kept me warm throughout the winter are making their presence known, i've started to make a bigger push to eat more lean protein for dinner. usually during the week pasta is my fallback meal, which is fine, but not fine to do every night. the only catch is - brian doesn't really like fish (hate would be an appropriate word). and while he, or myself, are free to eat different meals, in tiny new york kitchens it's better to have one cook in the kitchen rather than two. while this salmon dish is still, hands down, one of the best recipes i've put on the blog and one i try to use at least once a week, salmon is not a great fish to eat if you don't like fish. it's called a "fishy" fish, which i don't really get as a fish lover, but whatever. fine. this time around i tried to use a more subtle fish - sea bass - but wanted to keep the premise similar to the salmon recipe: all ingredients must basically be on hand, already in my kitchen, and the only thing i'd have to pick up on the way home would be the fish. and voile - mustard crusted sea bass.
the recipe also calls for olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper - but i deemed them not worthy of the photograph. the original recipe calls for marjoram and, while i have nothing against marjoram, there comes a point where you're tired of picking up a whole new bottle of seasoning for one recipe. in these instances i usually google the spice to learn what family it's in/what it tastes like. it doesn't always work - for instance, rosemary is part of the mint family, and replacing rosemary with mint or vice versa would result in a completely different meal. however, in this case, marjoram is in the same family as oregano, it just usually tastes a little sweeter. i have lots of oregano, one of my favorite seasonings, so i just subsititued oregano for marjoram. feel free to use the marjoram if you would like. and, to make it simpler, i used dried thyme and oregano, not fresh herbs. remember, when you substitute dried herbs for fresh herbs, cut the amount in half - dried herbs have a much stronger flavor than fresh herbs.
so mix up your few ingredients, rub your filets with a little oil, then rub with the marinade, then lay thin slices of lemon on top. pop into a 400 degree oven for twenty minutes, depending on your oven. next time i'll cook mine a little less as my oven runs hot.
and scene - 20 minutes later you're done, and it took only a couple of minutes to put together the marinade. serve with some fresh vegetables and you've got a perfect summer meal! and, yes, brian actually enjoyed it. now to convince him to eat more salmon...

21 comments:

  1. Stop I'm drooling and it's not even 11 am. This isn't good. I mean my drooling, not the food. The food looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - good! and it's easy to make - even better.

      Delete
  2. Mmm I love salmon! I know what you mean about the carbs - it's almost easier for me if I don't have any on my plate and then I don't really miss it. Of course, every once in a while, pasta and pizza must be had (aka at least once a week). All of the colors in that rub look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so do I - salmon is so so good. and don't get me wrong, I still eat a good amount of carbs, but it's just like I was eating too much of them. like ceral for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch then pasta for dinner - I just needed to rein it in a bit. and I love fish and it's so good for you so I'm hoping I find a couple more recipes like this one to keep this trend going. I think I'll try this mustard rub in salmon too as I think it would taste really good on it, too.

      Delete
    2. I bet it would!! I definitely agree about the carbs. They too easily get out of hand (we Italian food lovers know this very well). I find that if I eat carbs throughout the day and keep my dinners low carb that works well for me to lose/maintain. I don't feel guilty about carbs at breakfast because I have all day to burn it off, as long as I don't do the same thing at dinner time!

      Delete
    3. yes and yes! it's tough on us Italian food lovers. i totally agree about eating less carbs as the day goes on, or having carb heavy breakfasts and protein based dinners. great advice.

      Delete
  3. This looks great. I haven't been much of a fish eater, because I think I grew up around really fish fish. I have been trying to eat white fish more (although its fried), but I think this recipe could win me over. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely try this - the mustard flavor and spices were great. granted I'm more of a fish lover but it honestly didn't taste like I was eating fish at all.

      Delete
  4. I READ IT. Read very single word even though it wasn't chicken and waffles.

    LOYAL, my friend. LOYAL!!!!!

    {also, that meal looks good. I shall pass it off to Zan! We all know he's the real meal maker in this relationship.}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - that is true loyalty! I mean it's definitely not as delicious as friend chicken and waffles, I'm not gonna lie. I also think zannerburns would do a great job making this :)

      Delete
  5. Oh this looks good! I actually am not a big fish person so maybe this sea bass is the way to go. I don't like fishy fishes :) But that rub with all of the spices sounds really good. Do you think it would work on chicken?

    p.s. you are well on your way to a great marriage with Brian, already compromising in the kitchen and all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you - lord knows we're trying! I also think this would be GREAT on chicken - and also think it would be great on a grill. I was going to try using this rub on chicken and grill it (apartment style, on our grill pan). but if you bake it or grill it outside with real charcoal and stuff (a better way to grill and i think the flavors would make this marinade even better), I think either way would be fab.

      Delete
  6. Salmon is tough to convince a fish hater to like, but sea bas sounds like a good compromise! It's so pretty with the lemon slices on top. Sounds simple for a weeknight, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I love salmon so much it's hard for me to imagine it tasting bad but apparently that's the case. sea bass it is!

      Delete
  7. As someone who only started eating fish in the last couple of years, I wholeheartedly agree with Brian. Salmon is the devil's work. I'll eat it, and on occasion have cooked it, but have never really loved it. It drives Jordan nuts! Sea bass is my favourite fish so I'll definitely make a note of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Find best online jobs ever where you can earn monthly earning without any risk, part time data entry copy pasting and facebook jobs, Join now
    RapidIncomeCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hot Forex Investments where you can earn profit without any work, just invest on forex and get profit daily upto 12%, Join Now
    HotFxInvest.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Online Jobs is easy now for you, just spend few hours on internet and get unlimited income with Data entry copy pasting facebook and clicking jobs
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hot Forex Investments where you can earn profit without any work, just invest on forex and get profit daily upto 12%, Join Now
    HotFxInvest.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Find best online jobs ever where you can earn monthly earning without any risk, part time data entry copy pasting and facebook jobs, Join now
    RapidIncomeCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Online Jobs is easy now for you, just spend few hours on internet and get unlimited income with Data entry copy pasting facebook and clicking jobs
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...