Tuesday, July 16, 2013

on my weekend in pictures.

we started the weekend off celebrating my grandmother's life - her funeral and burial, while saddening, were also a great time to hear about her life, all the things she did, and all the lives she touched. below is her bridal portrait, where she is wearing a dress designed and made by my great-grandfather, an italian immigrant who ran a dress business in brooklyn. it's one of my favorite dresses for obvious reasons - but brides of the 40's and 50's are so timeless and beautiful, it's hard not to have many favorites from that era.
the weekend also kicked off with a dinner party thrown by tina on friday night. you know what's better than throwing a dinner party? going to one. someone cooks delicious things for you and keeps your wine glass full! i mean, the best. dining out is for the birds. saturday we laid low, low, low. i slept in, went for a long run, took a nap, ordered in pizza, hit up the farmer's market. there was nary a plan in the book, and it was good. and then sunday. oh sunday. we ended the weekend with a bridal shower of sorts - you see, i have an aversion to bridal showers. i don't know what it is about them, but they are just not for me. i'll happily attend others, but having a bridal shower makes me feel the way a dog does when it hears thunder, or when a kitten smells toothpaste. you know what i mean. but a few friends insisted on a little get together and oh my - it was the stuff dreams are made of. it was christmas themed, only five people were invited, we listened to christmas music and drank champagne and it was like celebrating christmas twice, which, if you know me, is literally a dream come true. i got a few sweet gifts, and then it devolved into an epic dance party. i'm sure we scared the neighbors with our renditions of katy perry's "firework", reba's "fancy" and mariah carey's "fantasy". it was better then i could have ever imagined - dancing, laughing until our stomachs hurt, all while in a winter wonderland. leave it to very good friends to make your dreams come true. i hope your weekends were just as good and hey - it's tuesday already! alright!

8 comments:

  1. This is so amazing. I had the biggest smile on my face the entire time I was reading it. A Christmas Bridal Shower?! I could not think of anything better for you.

    (Also, you looked BEAUTIFUL.)

    Such a happy day...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it was seriously the best. and thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Your friends are seriously the best! Glad you had such a great weekend after a not so great week. And talking about that dinner on Friday night makes me realize that I need to cook dinner for my friends more since it is such a treat! It really is so nice to be served a meal in someone's home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - really the best! and yes, gettig invited to a dinner party is such a treat. hoping to also do it soon.

      Delete
  3. Your bridal shower sounds like it was so. much. fun. I love it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandmother was such a beauty! I love that photo of her.

    I feel the same way about bridal showers. Sounds like yours turned out to be pretty awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I'm such a sucker for an old timey wedding dress, they just did it BETTER back then. Your grandmother looked stunning! As did you btw, nothing looks more beautiful on a woman than genuine joy! And what a lucky gal you are to have friends that know you that well! That shower was something out of dream and PERFECT!! And guess what you get to have Christmas all over again in just five months! :) (I'm ALWAYS counting :) ) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. A Christmas themed bridal shower...in July! So awesome and so sweet! Those friends are keepers for sure!

    Your grandmother was lovely! Such a gorgeous picture!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...