Wednesday, July 10, 2013

on an oat cake (filled with berries).

well, my first attempt to bake in the new (to me) oven did not go well. i forgot to buy vanilla extract. the beaters for my hand mixer mysteriously disappeared in the move. i knocked over a bowl of sugar and butter in my maddening quest to find the mixers. but i triumphed. i made my blueberry and blackberry oat cake. with a little help from target and a lot of help from brian along the way. so consider this a pared down recipe post as i continue to adjust to my new surroundings.
***
you’ll need fairly basic ingredients for this cake, with some seasonal fruit thrown in there, too: blueberries, blackberries, flour, oats, butter, egg, granulated and brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder and, if you have it on hand, vanilla extract. i made this without the latter and with the whole wheat flour i currently have on hand. i also sprinkled a tablespoon of chia seeds in the batter and another tablespoon over the top. makes it healthier, right?
so, first you want to take one cup of blueberries and one cup of blackberries and mix them up. maybe eat a few, i don’t know. things happen.
soak your oats for about five minutes in 2/3 cup of water, while whisking together your dry ingredients in another bowl, except for the sugar. in another, larger, bowl, cream the butter and sugars with a mixer on medium speed – this should take about three minutes.
after that, mix in the other ingredients – oats and the dry ingredients mixture – using the mixer on low speed. when properly mixed, fold in half of the berries (and sprinkle in your chia seeds if you wish).
pour the mixture into an 8x8 buttered and floured pan. sprinkle the remaining berries (and some more chia seeds and a bit of sugar) on top. bake for 40 – 45 minutes (mine took longer, about an hour, still learning my new oven!) at 350 degrees.
cool for 30 minutes, then slice into squares. eat a piece every morning after you pick up your daily coffee on your way into work. at least that’s what I’ve been doing – and it’s made my morning a whole lot better. definitely looking forward to making it again this weekend – enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmmmmmm. Gots to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baked treats with oats are always some of my favorites. This looks fantastic, especially with the fresh summer berries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my annual office bake-off and my turn is next week so I need to get my baking game face on - this post certainly helped! I'm a sucker for all things berry and oat related!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cake for breakfast = my dream breakfast. I have really been feeling uninspired when it comes to breakfast lately, so this would be a perfect. Few things sound good to me that early in the morning, and I've been anti-green smoothie lately. Berries + chia seeds + cake sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...