Friday, July 12, 2013

on a shoe story {volume viii}.

it probably helps that my feet haven’t grown since seventh grade. i started wearing a size 6 in seventh grade and that was it for me. due to that, it’s helped me keep some shoes around for a very, very long time. my oldest pair of shoes i bought my junior year of high school and still love today. a pair of black heels to be worn to parties and with fancy dresses, they feature an ankle strap made of rhinestones, tied in the back with a satin bow. they appeal to me today as much as they did at 16. i’ve gone through many changes in my life, and expect more ahead, but my taste in shoes appears to be pretty consistent. while i’ve worn these shoes many times, my favorite memory of them is when I was 18, the summer after my freshmen year of college, when i attended a wedding in dc. i had been to a couple of weddings before that, but this was my first as an “adult” (a term to be used loosely with an 18-year-old), but i think you know what i mean. i took notice of all the details, felt the couple’s excitement, enjoyed every minute of that magical night. and magical it was, as the wedding took place on top of the hayes-adams hotel in Washington, overlooking the white house. as the bride and groom said their vows, the sun started to set over the city and i had to pinch myself – it was just perfection. the city, the night, the party – it’s all surrounded by twinkling white lights and clinks of champagne glasses in my mind. and those fabulous, glamorous shoes adorning my feet. at 18, magical is exactly what that night was.

***
a few years after the wedding, the bride was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. her husband filed for divorce shortly after, simply stating that he didn’t sign up for that. i take it he didn’t quite comprehend the part of the vows where you state your loyalty and fidelity “in sickness and in health”. to say he turned out to be a cad is an understatement. because after all that magic, all those views, all the champagne and beautiful shoes, what we really have in life is each other. what we really need to put stock in is one another. our relationships are the beginning and the end of all our happiness. the other things, while nice to have, will always come in second. as coco chanel once said,
“the best things in life are free. the second-best, are very expensive”.
that quote always makes me chuckle – it’s so true, yet a good reminder that if we only live a life with the best things, and not the very expensive ones, we’ll have lived well.
***
when my grandmother talked to my mom this past sunday, she let her know she had bought a few pairs of shoes for my wedding. her feet, in old age, were now different sizes, and she wanted to play around with a few pairs to see what fit best. when my mom told me this, i’d be lying if i said it didn’t make me cry, but i’d also be lying if i said it didn’t make me laugh, too. a shoe-lover to the end, it’s not hard to see where i get it from. but it was our upcoming wedding, and her family, and the life she built and the lives she helped grow that allowed her that fun moment, that gave her the opportunity at 90 years old to still be enjoying the second-best things in life. it seemed she learned long ago that the best things in life are the ones you give your all to, the ones you put your stock in, and the second-best are the cherry on top. she lived well, surrounded by the best life has to offer, and that is as much as any of us can ask for.

12 comments:

  1. Colleen, this was perfect. I haven't been moved by a blog post like this in years. You have a beautiful voice and an amazing gift for storytelling. Thank you so much for this!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this means so much coming from you! you always write such heartfelt and honest posts so thank you - seriously appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Oh also we spent our wedding night at the Hay-Adams in DC, it was pure magic! It will always have a special place in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am jealous of that - it's such an amazing and cool and magical hotel. filled with history and romance!

      Delete
  3. I love your shoe stories. Those shoes are perfect, and your memories. Wow. They just blow me away. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Alex - it was nice to be back with a shoe story and have it mean so much. really appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  4. This story was beautiful. You are such a great writer and I loved the emotion you displayed with these words. I think you should put a pair of your grandmother's favorite shoes on display in your shoe museum (maybe even the ones she had wanted to wear to your wedding).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura that is such an amazing idea that had not crossed my mind. thank you so much - it's perfect!

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about your grandmother Colleen. She sounds like an awesome woman. Sending love to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story Colleen. I guess it's not hard to see where your love of shoes comes from :) I think it's an absolute must to get a picture of 3 generations of shoe lovers (and their shoes) on your wedding!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. One of my favorites yet.

    You are such a great writer, C! I always hang on to every word! And love the bit about your grandmother at the end. You and her really were two of a kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Laura's idea about putting a pair of your grandmother's shoes that she bought for your wedding in your shoe museum! That would be such a special memento of her, something you both loved and had in common :) And somewhere down the line, your daughter or granddaughter will surely have an affinity for shoes and will love your shoe museum and the stories it holds.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...