Thursday, September 5, 2013

on oops i did it again.

this is going to be a rambley post. first though, FIRST, let's start with acknowledging that i finally got to use a britney spears' song title as the title of one of my posts. magical. second, let's acknowledge that i already posted this recipe about a month ago and had totally forgotten and was ready to post it again. bet the post title makes sense now. these two weeks at work are going to be super busy and it's becoming super apparent right now. also, we sent out our wedding invites yesterday, which will add to the busyness. i believe jessie spano from saved by the bell said it best with: "i'm so excited, i'm so excited, i'm so scared." or perhaps i should say sang it best. and thirdly, (always amazes me that's a word!), brian said i could only have one britney song played at the wedding. obviously, it's very hard to choose just one. please leave your suggestions below.
with those three things off my chest you might think i would have run out of things to say. you would be mistaken. the subway has really had it out for me lately. i had a rat run between my legs, i saw someone vomiting profusely on the tracks, i got on a subway car with a half naked man who continuously hocked up loogies onto the floor, i sat next to man who dedicated his time to picking his nose so intensely that i had to move less i throw up, and i sat next to a man who took off his sandals and had his BARE FEET on the floor of the subway car. it's all been a little much. walking home past brownstones and leafy trees calms me, but i swear to god, that moment when i first get off? i am ready to leave this hell hole on a first class ticket to iowa.
also, when all this happens and then i work a 16-hour workday and pass a tourist who sighs dreamily and says how wonderful and romantic new york city is, i want to give them a rant that is so long, and so loud, it would probably get me arrested. it usually starts with "pay my rent buddy! you wanna see dreamy new york, there it is! except it's a GODDAMN nightmare!"
i'm done complaining now.
if you ever wanted to know how i cook - there you have it. it reminds me of the old w.c. fields adage: "i cook with wine, and sometimes i even add it to the food." w.c., buddy, imagine cooking with wine and having instagram at your fingertips! makes those moments waiting for water to boil go by so much faster.
the weather already feels a little crisper and fall-like here in nyc. people are like - but you know - summer isn't over until september 21st! or some shit like that. well riddle me this - how does mother nature also seem to be aware that labor day has passed, hmmm? please, enlighten me. (seriously, though, it's uncanny. feel free to enlighten me).
wow. after all that talking we're left with a steak. fabulous. now it's time for me to get ready for the day and hop on the subway. wish me luck that i don't sit next to any nose-pickers.

13 comments:

  1. Well. When it comes to Britney, I feel a classic is always called for, i.e. any album pre-meltdown, although Circus is chock full of dancey numbers, sooo...

    The other day, I was on the train and a man actually sat ON TOP of me. Like, half on my lap and half on the seat next to me (no exaggeration). Funny thing is he didn't seem to notice because he didn't budge, not even a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true. classic is prob best but circus has so many great tracks on it!

      I can't believe that!!! I had a guy squeeze in next to me and I was so pissed - like,you don't fit, stand! if he had sat on me...I just don't get it. I also hate when men sit with their legs hugely wide open taking up two seats. PLEASE give me a break. no one believes you have an elephant trunk in between your legs. you are fooling none of us. sit like a goddamn normal human being. and take up one seat.

      I obviously have a lot of aggression about the subway.

      Delete
    2. I feel you...so much. I have subway aggression pretty much everyday. The crazy thing is that particular train ride when the guy sat on me, wasn't even crowded! There were plenty of other seats to choose from and yet, my lap was obviously the best place for him. OK fine. I call that the "magnet effect". When the train is empty and someone decides they want to plop themselves right next to you. Oh god, you just got me going.

      Delete
    3. oh I know that! always creeps me out.

      Delete
  2. Ugh humans on the train are honestly the worst. Even here in Boston they make me want to die a little bit. Oh, that's ok, please jam your elbow into my back. It feels nice. Oh and I just LOVE it when you smack my chest with your fucking backpack (pardon the cursing).

    But in all honesty, you should do ...Baby, One More Time because who can go wrong with a classic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh the people who carry backpacks. take it off when you're standing - you literally are as wide as two people with it on. it's always been train etiquette to take it off and hold it in front Of you or something but most seem to not know this. and of corse totally forget it's there so bang into you repeatedly. le sigh. oh public transportation...

      Delete
  3. I'm working at a different store now that's on the edge of Chicago, so I drive to work these days. I hate it, because it just feels do suburban... But reading your post reminds me that the train is not necessarily better! Those are some rough stories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh what I would give to go back to driving. unless driving would make my commute longer, it is always a better choice I've decided after dealing with all the crazies on the train.

      Delete
  4. that's a dangerous concession Brian made... with a song list including 'I'm a Slave 4 U' and 'I'm not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman'... risky... that's all I'm saying

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing so hard right now. London tubes are exactly the same (although I have never had a rat run between my legs), at least once a day, there is a crazy lurking behind you. I have now traded London tube crazies for Sydney bus crazies (and believe me when I say there are many of those - luckily you get to look out the window on the bus though which softens the blow). Apart from the mouth watering steak, I have to comment on the size, is that for real? Also, your fridge is currently bigger than my little studio. I can never get over how big things are in America!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you for dealing with all that crap on the subway. Yikes!! I had one bad experience in NYC and sworn to never ride one again. My wallet has been crying her since :). Also, I totally cook "with" instagram :), it's so much more fun that way! Also, your future hubby is one lucky guy to have such a fantastic cook for a wife! xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...