Wednesday, April 30, 2014

on chinese take-in.

so i am doing my best to throw myself back into cooking this week. these past few weeks i have been so bummed and frustrated about our situation here. but on sunday i shook off those blues, got to cooking the best i can, and feel much better. i still hope this ordeal ends soon - either the gas coming back on or us moving out - but until then, the slow cooker it is. i saw this recipe on a few blogs, each with slightly different variations and measurements - this one sounded like the best to me. and now, one less reason to order takeout!
sesame seeds are my jam. when i order in chinese, i'm usually going for the sesame chicken. and when i get my bagel on the weekend, it's always sesame as well. so i was pretty thrilled with how well this turned out. put your pound (or so, i used a pound and a half) of skinless chicken breasts (or boneless and skinless thighs) into the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. dice your onion, mince your garlic, and mix with honey, ketchup, soy sauce, vegetable oil, and red pepper flakes. pour this sauce into the slow cooker, making sure to cover your chicken completely, and put it on high for two hours.
after two hours take out your chicken and shred it with the help of a fork and a big old knife (mine shread and cut very easily). before you start (and after you take the chicken out), mix your corn starch with water, pour into the suace left in the slow cooker, mix well, then put the slow cooker on high for another ten minutes. when that's done (and you're done shredding), put the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker, stirring until all of the chicken is coated with sauce.
serve it up with a side of veggies, rice, or both, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top, and voile - chinese take-out at home. this was absolutely delicious and made enough for 4 - 6 people (yay leftovers!). enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. That looks way better than the stuff from take-out restaurants. Gimme some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was awesome how much it fulfilled my Chinese craving - see ya later takeout!

      Delete
  2. I was hoping this was coming to the blog. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! it was a good and really quick to make - hope you guys like it!

      Delete
  3. I think I pinned this same recipe (or a variation) last week. I'm going to attempt to use my slow cooker to make easy meals for when I'm busy with Elise. This looks awesome!

    (Also, I"ve been keeping up with your blog, but mostly in the middle of the night when I"m up and nursing. It's hard to find a free hand to type my comments, so I haven't been. But I'm here and reading still :) And I can't believe you still don't have gas. That is just crazy. Is your lease up soon? Or can you break it due to this issue without penalty? Moving is a pain, but not having a stove to cook on is maybe worse! I hope you get it sorted out soon!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can not even believe you STILL don't have gas. That feels really really wrong.

    On another note, this looks really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer. In the UK, if you had no gas, you would have no hot water... I take it that is not the case in NY? (If it is, I am sending you a big virtual hug)! How about getting a little hot plate? As frustrating as it is for you, I have to admit that I am secretly pleased with all the slow cooker recipes because as winter starts in full swing, it's on almost permanently!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you are still cooking without gas!! Yet you've still managed to come up with some pretty awesome dinners. I just pinned this one because it looks SO tasty. And I love that it goes in the slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...